16 January 2011
I missed the class yesterday, but that’s a consequence of having small children, studies, and an astronomy webpage that needs updating! Still, grinding continues at home in the garage and progress gets made. Today I ground for about 90 minutes (still with the #80 grit), using slightly longer diametral strokes. After drying the mirror, I measured the depth with the feeler gauge and straight edge (0.63mm – up from previous session). On a whim, I measured the diamter as well and found the mirror to be larger than the specified six inches! The difference isn’t huge, but it’s enough to make me feel like I got something for nothing 🙂
Also, there’s definite visible progress: Compare the tool from after the first day to how it looks at the time of writing!